Web content specialist, Parks Canada
September 2017 – Present (GT5)
November 2015 – September 2017 (GT4)
I am responsible for the information architecture and content strategy for the Parks Canada website. In 2017, I helped to successfully migrate the website to a new content management system and into a new design template. I educate content owners across the Parks Canada Agency on best practices for content planning, writing for the web and usability. I also develop communications campaigns and web content strategies that ensure our Agency goals are reflected and achieved on the web channel.
Plan the online visitor experience
- Oversee the site’s information architecture.
- Apply user-centred design principles to web products.
- Use analytics to optimize the site’s usability and improve online engagement.
- Work collaboratively with design and technical leads to implement new interactive features and publish new content.
- Coordinate ROT and content gap analyses.
- Collaborate with marketing, analytics and communications colleagues on successful advertising campaigns.
Support regional internet officers and content owners across the Agency
- Manage a collaborative workspace for 30 regional Internet officers.
- Educate content creators on the value of quality content, writing for the web, user-centred information design.
- Apply best practices for accessibility, usability, and plain language writing to all content.
- Manage content requests and report progress to senior management.
- Develop and share procedures, requirements and instructions on web content and project management topics.
- Train and supervise employees.
- 2017 Parks Canada CEO Award (nomination) – Web Team – Web renewal project
- 2017 Parks Canada CEO Award (winner) – Discovery Pass Team – Free admission project
Web content advisor, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Intranet web advisor (IS3)
- Content advisor for a modernization of work tools project. Brought internal guidance documents into current web standards.
- Assisted with in-person user-testing to assess improved task completion time, ease of use, and more intuitive information finding for redesigned content sections.
- Redesigned the intranet homepage to respond to top tasks.
- Extensive experience providing web advice to clients across the department.
- Explained web best practices, standards for web usability and accessibility requirements.
- Leveraged web analytics to support recommendations.
- Prepared mock-ups, wireframes, and information architecture materials.
- Communicated change through WebEx presentations, decks, and project plans.
Web program officer, Service Canada, Canada Education Savings Program
- Program officer (PM3)
- Worked with Communications to implement vanity URLs, event tracking and advanced segmentation for direct mail campaigns using Google Analytics.
- Compiled web analytics and provided analysis for senior management.
- Led a project team to convert PDFs into web compliant HTML. Planned and implemented the project while managing one staff member during the conversion process.
- Managed day-to-day web content requests for program related content on the intranet and internet.
Interactive Multimedia Web Design
M.A. Canadian Studies (Heritage Conservation)
B.A. Arts (Canadian Studies and Music)
Content and information architecture
- Site plans, site maps, information architecture
- Content audit and inventories
- Analytics based decision making
- Content strategy and user journey planning
- Communications planning
- Content marketing
- Social media marketing
Software and tools
- HTML and CSS
- Adobe Photoshop
- MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Gather Content
- Google Analytics
- Resourceful, organized and creative.
- Team player.
- Able to work efficiently in fast-paced, high pressured environment.
English mother tongue.
French: Oral (B), Written (C), Reading (E)